We worked in a team of 4 and started by reflecting on the project and designing our research methodology. We interviewed ten people about their overall experiences when ordering online and what they liked and disliked about it. We asked about their mobile plans, add-ons, accessories, and if they were interested in buying this when offered by their telecom provider. We asked T-Mobile employees about earlier usability tests that could be useful for our research. This gave us useful insights.
We created empathy maps, a journey map, and a flowchart of the current T-Mobile ordering process to determine weak points. We also conducted a heuristic evaluation. By conducting desk research, we found more info about successful online ordering processes, and we compared this to the current T-Mobile process. We analyzed the ordering processes of competitors as well.
We had difficulties in defining our personas because of the huge amount of customers and the limited time available. According to a commonly used consumer behaviour mode by Henry Assael, we decided to segment the target audience into four different types, based on their buying behavior: complex buying behavior, variety-seeking buying behavior, dissonance-reducing buying behavior and habitual buying behavior. We did this to target all different kind of users easily and effectively.
Once we learned more about the users, we came up many different ideas to improve the ordering process, based on information we'd obtained from our research. Finding a solution to ‘increase awareness for mobile plan add-ons and accessories’ was difficult because of all the possibilities we had. After a while, we found ourselves focusing too much on entirely different concepts, from website redesigns to marketing strategies, and from online to offline. We decided then to focus on two concepts where we thought we could bring the most value, based on our backgrounds (namely a digital solution).
First of all, we tried to minimize the ordering process (to buy a new phone) as much as possible because, with each time a user has to make a decision, he is more likely to stop the ordering process. Initially, we added an extra option in the process where customers were able to select add-ons to their mobile plan when buying a new phone. We decided to remove it, because during interviews we found that customers didn't want to choose that at this moment. We minimalized the existing ordering process from 5 steps to 4 by summarizing and restructuring all steps. We simplified the wording and worked towards a 'Hooray'-moment at the end to nudge the user towards the final step, and because the customer has a moment of relief and excitement after buying a new phone.
Besides restructuring the ordering process, we also worked on a gamification element. During our interviews, we found that users were not interested in buying additional products during the ordering process. Now, we wanted to engage the customers by offering them add-ons at the time they need it. I started working on our second concept: an app where every customer receives three new, personalized offers each Tuesday (T-Tuesday). The offers are based on personal details, interests, or the time of the year. By providing personalized offers, we wanted to improve the awareness for add-ons and accessories and increase sales by using a nudging technique. The customer can find his offers inside the existing T-Mobile app.
Important in the concept, is that users receive promotional actions they really benefit from. Customers always like discounts, especially in The Netherlands :) Therefore, it is important to anticipate what customers might want and need. For example:
T-Mobile can also offer customers a free gift occasionally to increase engagement. This can be done, for instance, on birthdays and anniversaries. In the case above, it's the customer's birthday and he receives a free internet add-on for one month. I created interactive prototypes of the app in InVision and tested several designs with eight participants. According to their feedback, I chose the best layout and then modified it.
At the end of the project, we presented our concepts to the client. We gave them our research report containing our conducted user interviews, journey maps, empathy maps, literature study, benchmarking, prototypes and user tests.